One step forward, drew steps back

Show Navigation


Wisdom Teeth...

Posted on Wednesday August 15, 2007 at 1:00am in

Today was the day to get my wisdom teeth surgically removed. All four. What an experience! I chose to go under with an IV, because it would go faster and it seemed to be the option most picked by my friends who have had this done. I’ve never been put to sleep before, so I kinda wanted to see what it was like. Although, I was scared about the IV part (I know, it’s weak, but I am deathly afraid of needles – especially in the wrist and behind the elbow…where IVs go). I can take it in the shoulder pretty easily, but this is why I’ve never had the courage to give blood. Those stupid needles!

I got there 15 minutes early with Mom who drove me there and back (I’m not allowed to drive after being put under for 24 hours). We got there 15 minutes early, but then had to wait 30 minutes in the waiting room. Was I nervous? No, I was hopeful that I could easily get over this surgery and be back to my regular schedule within hours. They brought us both into the operating room and showed us a video. Then, Mom left and they put laughing gas in me via a mask. Almost immediately I started to feel really dizzy and light. It was a strange sensation. Then, I felt the doctor grab my arm, but it didn’t even feel like it was mine anymore. I heard myself laugh and the doctors started speaking in Spanish “Exellento…” they kept saying. I was wondering if I was really laughing and if they could hear me or not. Maybe? They were talking to me but I don’t remember talking back.

Surgery is fun.

The doctor was holding my arm and told me to make a fist. I knew what was coming, but I didn’t care anymore now that I felt so light. My legs felt like they were floating. He put the IV in and I barely felt it, hardly noticed…and that was the last thing I remember before waking up with a completely numb mouth stuffed full of gauze. Mom came in and started talking to me, I barely remember it. I don’t remember even walking out the door. Apparently, I started throwing up blood in the operating room shortly after waking up, but I have no recollection of it. Although, my throat hurt like it did after I left.

The pain is pretty bad right now, I’m surprised I was able to write all this. But, I don’t want to forget it, so I’ll just get it all down. I can’t eat, but I feel like I should be doing something. If I pass the time by doing something, the pain will sooner vanish. I took two different types of medicine to stop the pain. By tomorrow, I should be feeling around normal. Anyway, it was an interesting experience. I’m glad it’s over, glad the surgery wasn’t too bad, but I just wish this pain was lighter. The people who told me that it was after surgery I should worry about were right.

In other news, last Sunday was Brian’s (My cousin) housewarming party. He bought a really nice house in Minnesota and we all went down to see it. Very nice house! Hopefully, someday, I can have something like that. Veronica’s brother, Roman, leaves tomorrow to go back to Hong Kong. Friday, Superbad the movie comes out. Bryan and I are going to see it (hopefully I’ll be relatively normal by that time, because I’m very excited for this movie). I also would like to do something with Kevin again, before he leaves for school. When he’s in Minnesota, I won’t be seeing much of him. Anyway, wish me luck on a speedy recovery.

Leave a Comment


comments powered by Disqus